Sunday, March 19, 2006

Trust The Man



I’m stoked. I understand the way I review things on this site probably gives off an image of me as a racist, animal lover, hater of autistic peeps, a pedophile, etc. I apologize; but I know that I dig the trailer for Trust the Man. And yes, I’m a raging pedophile.

You gotta love movies about upper-middle-class white guys fighting to maintain their lives and dignity with romantic troubles; after all, who has it harder than 30-something wealthy Manhattanites? All joking aside, the trailer is absolutely stellar for what it is – a romantic New York drama/comedy. The instrumental Spoon song “The Way We Get By” in the beginning is wonderful and uplifting. The second half, however, loses me somewhat with the Five For Fighting song, but in a trailer like this, one would probably die from shock if there weren’t a Five For Fighting, Semisonic or Boyzone song. Every time I hear any of their songs, I think of a pimpled college freshman viciously masturbating while watching Wild Things in a dorm room for some reason.

There are two moments that are especially drawing for me in mass-appeal comedy. Sure, there are many funny moments: Crudup dancing like an asshole (or a white guy, either way works); the whole early dinner table awkwardness with Eva Mendes (who I hate); and the bestiality thing in the beginning. Moment one – “Talk dirty to me…” “You have a – uh – husband.” Hilarious. I lost a chunk of hair laughing so hard at this very real issue that most couples run into (happily, but comically) – awkward sexual experimentation. It gets silly, it does, and if you handle it with comedy it makes the whole “Stuffed Animal, Knife, and Cake trick” a lot easier to attempt.

Moment two – Billy Crudup screams in a theater lobby to his writer girlfriend, “Elaine!!!” and then says, “Did you like the play?” as everyone stares at this apparent madman. If this were a true New York moment everyone would just keep on moving, no big deal. But it is deeply sad as you watch one man’s desperation and at the same time hilarious because the guy who played Prefontaine is trying to get back the sexual-games-dominatrix from The Secretary. God, I do enjoy this trailer.

In other news, Susan Sarandon, in a real twist in her career, has decided to play Cindy Sheehan in an upcoming film. When that trailer comes out, you can be sure I will piss all over it on this wonderful site.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure this will be another Beautiful Girls - one of those great, light movies that no one ever sees.

However, I will definitely be seeing it.
Excellent post!

Lena Webb said...

review "mozart and the whale"!!!!!!!!!!!!! DOoo it!