Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Domino


Let me start off by saying that I find a lot to like in Tony Scott's movies where a lot of people either hate him or just don't care much. I was reading the Ain't it Cool News talkbacks the other day (a dangerous passtime) and I came across someone who said something that got me thinking.

Basically what they said was that Tony Scott sets the tone for a decade by making a pitch-perfect blockbuster (or two) for those years. If you look at his record it certainly isn't bad.

1980s
Top Gun
Beverly Hills Cop II

1990s
Crimson Tide
Enemy of the State

2000s (so far)
Spy Game
Man on Fire
Domino


There are others that I've left off, but look at that list and tell me if those movies don't really define the blocbusters of their era. I think they do, and I love blockbusters.

About the trailer: I love this trailer - it reminds me of the BMW "Beat the Devil" short, which was basically a ten minute trailer for a movie that was never made. The thing I like best about Tony Scott's (current) aesthetic is the love of small incidental images that (to me) are stronger than anything conventional. Just in this trailer:

The freeze frame for "based on a true story". The tight zoom on Domino's eyes along with a snare drum and a cut out in background sound. The domino necklace and cuffs, all green and yellowed out. Spinning the necklace in slow shutter speed bleached out color. The three-shot montage introducing Mickey Rourke. The shots and music while introducing "Choco". Et cetera for the whole trailer, and I won't waste your time except for of Kierra firing two MP5s to her open mouth. Genius.

The voice over is pitch-perfect. Christopher Walken did great stuff in Man on Fire, and I expect he will do it again. The cast is good, the look is flawless, and if I could, I would reserve a ticket.

I am entirely taken by this trailer. It was either cut by Tony Scott's personal editor or Tony Scott's personal while he was sleeping, but it works, it's sharp, it's beautiful, and I can't wait to see the movie.

Trailer (Apple)

No comments: