Saturday, October 01, 2005

Yours, Mine and Ours and Cheaper By the Dozen 2


I am not one to shy away from the so-called "family fare." In fact, I would say that I see more films that your 8 year old sister would enjoy than films that your 22 year old Shin's listenin'-side bangs wearin'-Garden State lovin'-hipster doofus of a brother would like. But this? This is terrible.

There are many things wrong with this picture. Sound of Music meets Brady Bunch meets Cheaper by the Dozen ends up being the least original idea to come down the pike in a long time. Perhaps it's based on some old Cary Grant film, or beloved children's novel. Who gives a shit. The kid actors are lame, Rene Russo looks like a mummy, and no matter how many things you drop on him DENNIS QUAID IS NOT FUNNY. And because I really feel it isn't said enough: NEITHER IS RANDY QUAID.

This trailer makes me feel bad. I guess on this blog we kind of narrow our scope, so I wont speculate on how close the director was to tears on the 13 th take of Quaid getting nailed by a bucket of paint. Or Denny's abysmal attitude towards children that you know left him painfully uncomfortable in those all too frequent "down moments." I will instead think about the poor trailer editor who, as if in apology, turns to me and says in a voice, strong, but on the verge of breaking: "I work with what they give me."


Since it came up earlier, I thought I would throw in my two cents about the Cheaper by the Dozen 2 trailer.

I will admit, I enjoyed the first one. It was sappy and obvious but it made my sister and I laugh when we saw it together. And as much as it both pains and shames me to say it, Ashton Kutcher was quite funny in it.

The trailer for the sequel is bad. I worry about Steve Martin sometimes. He was so good for so long. He took the leap and played drama in the stellar The Spanish Prisoner. Since then, it has been a slippery slope downhill. And CBTD2 is not a step in the right direction.

Lastly, in keeping with the trend of once cute girls looking hideous, get a load of Ms. Hillary Duff. Jesus. She looks like she's forty years old. And boring.

No comments: