Sunday, February 26, 2006

Marie Antoinette

Dear Sofia Coppola,
I like your work. Actually I've only seen Lost in Translation, but I liked that very much. Your new trailer is very confusing. This is a straight-up period piece, right? Why is there some mediocre indie rock song playing all the way through it? Don't look at me like it wasn't your idea, I know these kinds of against the grain decisions are the work of indie directors who are looking for street cred. Don't be a Zach Braff circa Garden State Trailer 1. You're better than him. Your movie looks mildly interesting, but will there be indie rock music in the movie? If the answer is no, and there will be only quartets and snooty accents, then I say you have done us wrong, Sofia. If there the answer is yes, then I say you have done 18th century France wrong.

Also - you started Lost in Translation with a lovely shot of Scarlett Johanson's butt. Now it's Kirsten Dunst and a fan. What's up with you?

Love,
Ben

I wholeheartedly agree that using this song for this trailer was a bad decision. But I would like to clarify that the song is Age of Consent by New Order, not "some mediocre indie rock song". Age of Consent is an amazing song and should not be associated with this trailer. And what the hell is up with the "Never Mind the Bollocks"-esque title card?
-AD

Apologies. It is impossible to take any contemporary song seriously - amazing or not - in that trailer. I didn't even know where to begin with the hipper-than thou title card. Not to mention that Jason Schwarzman - king of indie fluff is starring along with naked-behind-a-fan.
-S

2 comments:

Accidentally Disastrous said...

Its going to be like A Knight's Tale where they use totally inappropriate 70s rock for a movie about Medieval Times.
God, that was a stupid idea.

Accidentally Disastrous said...

What if they had been playing Bon Jovi the whole time you and i were at Medieval Times? I probably would have drank even more ale!