Sunday, April 30, 2006

I'm Your Man



Just so you know, I love Leonard Cohen.

I love his early acoustic albums, I love when he started expanding his instrumentation, I love his (perhaps misguided) collaboration with Phil Spector, and I love the synth-heavy white-soul period he’s been in for the past decade. He is arguably the most important American singer-songwriter who ever lived. I would have preferred a film of a performance, or compilation of performances by the man himself, but a tribute will have to do.

And lets look at the powerhouse of a tribute they have put together to the man: Anthony, Nick Cave, Rufus Wainwright, Jarvis Cocker, Linda Thompson! This is an impressive line-up!


Then why, o why do they only feature fucking BONO in the damn trailer!? Surely the participants’ level of discourse concerning Mr. Cohen is higher than: “Here was a man, who inside of a pop song there was some big ideas…”

Shut up Bono. You should not be proud of your career.


Aside from that, this is really an odd, disjointed trailer. Lots of things are happening, and they don’t necessarily feel connected in any great way. You could probably lose the bit about the monastery and survive. But hey, it’s Leonard Cohen, and I am excited.

One more question: How come I don’t look this good in a trench coat.


No comments: