Friday, May 05, 2006

Superman Returns - Trailer 2

What Trailer 1 promised, Trailer 2 hath delivered. Yeah yeah, Superman, newspapers, fighting evil - looks fine. What blew me away was Kevin Spacey and his Lex Luthor.

I haven't seen Kevin Spacey really act in a long time. Pay it Forward? K-Pax? Beyond the Sea? What is Kevin thinking? This is Keiser Soze, this is the kiler from Se7en, the detective slash socialite from L.A. Confidential. Kevin Spacey can be unbelievably charismatic and chameleon-like in his transformation into character, finally, after a dry spell to make most of us forget - he's back.

Lex Luthor steals the trailer, and my guess is he'll steal the movie too. Superman is by necessity bland, quiet, forever repressed in his stupid secret identity - but here, Lex Luthor is the opposite of that, the foil who ends up outshining his protagonist. I could just watch him shout into Lois Lane's face all day. Sure, the guy who plays superman looks fine, and the rest is fine, but Lex Luthor! Let me have your babies.

Two things.

1. That plane is a) a ridiculous combination of a 1930s era Boeing Constellation and a modern passenger jet, and b) flying in outer space.

2. Lex Luthor's plan seems to involve blowing up most of the US and making some new starburst shaped landmass. He has also already divided it up into states. If I were him, I would wait until the nefarious plan has worked before deciding where New Florida should go.

Check it out (apple.com)

1 comment:

MertMengelmier said...

Lex is running the Old Vic Theater in London. So, instead of showing up in kick-ass roles, he's been fondling young Shakespearean actors and writing a memoir entitled, "I will not eat that! Oh man, okay, I will!"