Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Aeon Flux

Come on now. Coming from an awesome cartoon with very little story and - if I remember correctly - no spoken lines, we get a stupid, talky trailer? This trailer is stupid. It's really stupid. It's boring, poorly edited, has a terrible voice over ("People disappear as though they never existed" - is that even a sentence?), and full of terible sound effects ("Government control is total. BANG BANG).

The worst part, the thing I can't get past, even if I were to overlook the fact that entire trailer is stupid (hard to do, trust me), is that Charlize is simply not an action actress. There isn't a single shot, not even a single frame, where she looks like she's actually kicking ass. And for "a ruthlessly efficient" "perfect assassin," that's a problem.

I remember thinking the same thing when the trailer for The Bourne Identity came out, and I was wrong then. This time though, every bone in my body says this is going to be a stinker.

And the music is so terrible, so bland and generic that I'm not going to post it.

Yeah, I never saw the show but the trailer definitely sucks. I would like to remind you, however, that the movie was directed by the woman who did Girlfight, which was an excellent film. She's also a Brooklyn resident.

BROOKLYN!

That said, I'm not exactly dying to see the movie. But I'll at least wait until the review to come out before I make my final judgement. And besides, I know the woman who edited the movie. She worked at Indigent when I was there and she was really cool and friendly to me. I hope she didn't edit this trailer though. Or is reading this. Oops.

- Kevan.

Come on guys! Am I the only person who watched the show Aeon Flux?
Well, it looks that way. The show did have dialogue, Ben, but most of it was as incomprehensible as the plotline.
Peter Cheung (creator of Aeon flux and, in my opinion, the vastly superior Phantom 2040, as well as the largely unseen Reign: The Conquerer) seems to not have had any involvement with the film. This could be a good thing or a bad thing.
The trailer makes me think it was probably a bad thing. The film looks to have none of what made the show great: extreme stylization, grotesque sexuality, or the bizarre incidental music. It’s a shame.

- A.D.

No comments: