Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Lord of War


Ah, the delight of a tight, clean trailer. The voice over uses that perfect Nicholas Cage bored voice to perfect effect, reeling off facts and plot as though they are the most boring things in the world, juxtaposing some pretty rough imagery with dry, dark humor. I guess this movie comes out tomorrow in the States, but that doesn't much help me here in Japan.

Even withouth seeing the movie, I have a feeling I'll love the main character. The smug way he's smiling when making his business deals, the confidence when dealing with the authorities - he just seems like a cool-under-pressure guy in the traditions of Bogart and McQueen, but with a darker twist. The world-weariness is now a bit more cynical, the look is less strength and more behind the scenes work, but the feeling that everything that happens to this guy, he expects it. That's the same.

The music, the occaisonal use of split screen all work well, and the few funny lines in the preview are genuinely funny, well delivered, and well timed. The "thank you, but I prefer it my way" at the end gets a smile out of me every time.

Trailer (Apple)

No comments: