Tuesday, September 13, 2005

V for Vendetta


I cant say that they haven't hurt me before.

The bros Wachowski and I have had a long and stormy relationship.

It starts, of course, with The Matrix. Awesome trailer, better film. When the early teasers were released for Reloaded, I was intrigued. When the full blown theatrical trailer dropped...well, lets just say that my Girlfriend still hasn't forgiven me for making her sit through half a hundred viewings of that one.

So, it's been with great trepidation that I have been getting steadily more excited for V for Vendetta. Yeah, maybe they didn't direct it, but i am confident they have had their fingers in the pie in a very major way.

The trailer's got a lot to like. We see how cute Ms Portman is with her head shaved. We see a totalitarian future done right (you could learn from this Aeon Flux). And who is that as our brutal overlord? Why it's none other than Winston Smith himself, Mr. John Hurt.

This could conceivably be another in the long line of filmic dreck that Alan Moore's comic works seem to inspire (e.g. the lofty but flawed From Hell, the entertaining but terrible LXG, and the punishingly unwatchable Swamp Thing), time will tell.

But does anyone else get a little chill at the end when V says "Remember, remember the 5th of November"?



Just me? Fair enough.

Trailer (Apple)

It's a good trailer. I particularly like the scenes that hint at a government gone wrong (v/o about hundreds of thousands of dead, the shot of someone spreading lyme over what we assume is a mass grave.) As opposed to Aeon (stupid) Flux which hints at a government gone wrong with one floaty scarf and what appears to be pointy grass.

The fifth of November had the same effect on me too - reminds me of the Two Towers trailer, but not nearly as potent.

-Ben

2 comments:

Lena Webb said...

I watched the trailer, and a few things put my facial features in the "wary" position:

1. The part with V's two knives moving so quickly that they leave blue streaks in the air. If he were REALLY a badass, they wouldn't need to add that entirely unmoving special effect. And I don't care if it's not in the real movie, I still hate it. A lot.

2. V's entire outfit is much too much. It's like Trent Reznor, Johnny Depp's hair, Raphael the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, and the Phantom of the Opera got fused together and given Batman's voice.

3. Whatever those scientists were doing, it looked completely fake and like a total waste of scientific time. Injecting blood into petri dishes filled with solid media???? WRONG!

4. I'm sure everything will work out in the end. And if it doesn't, there will be a really REALLY terrible sequel.

Anonymous said...

Looks good, but a few warning signs. Cast changes. Delayed release. Alan Moore not sounding very happy. Cast talking b*ll*cks in interviews. I like the book. Very much. It is a longer and more complex story than most hollywood movies, Lots of detail. Difficult to cram into 2 hours. So what has been cut out to make way for Stephen Fry's gratuitous character and subplot?
Also the background to the film. World war two being won by the nazis. Yawn. The original premise was much better. If you haven't read the book, read it now before the movie ruins it.

Sequel? Lets pray that the gods of hollywood have more taste