Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Spider Man 3 Teaser


He doesnt look like the victim of an Alien Symbiote.

He just looks the victim of bad lighting.

EDIT:

So, due to Spiffae's nasty comment Spiffae's rousing agreement on this post, I decided to go back and give the teaser another look. Guess what: I still can't get past the costume.

With the first film in the trilogy, Sam Raimi did something no other director had done at that point. He perfectly captured the movement of a character that we had only ever imagined moving. There was so much power and beauty in the way Spider Man moved, it replaced whatever we had pictured in our heads. This was truly a superhero come to life.

Because of this, I am not alone in saying I have been excited to see the Black Costume on screen since I saw the first trailer for Spider Man 1. I heard that they were saving it for the third movie and I am glad they did. It is no secret that I loathed Spider Man 2. The reasons need not be explained at length, it was just too scattered for my tastes. But ever since I have been secretly excited for 3. The Black Costume! Fanboys rejoice! Here was the Canon! Here was Venom and Carnage! And they give me this?

The black costume should be Night. It should be Darkness. It takes the basest impulses in the wearer and brings them to the surface. It should move like a shadow across the screen. It made Peter Parker from your friendly neighborhood Spider Man into a brutal judge, jury and executioner. It turned Eddie Brock into a Beast called Venom that really, really wanted to eat someone’s brains. And the best they can do is a different colored version of the original suit. It isn’t even totally black! The back of the head looks maroon in most of the shots!

If I was able to get past the suit, I would say that, as always, whoever edits the Spider Man trailers is an unqualified genius. From the very beginning they were perfect. Spiffae can testify that I made him watch the original Spider Man trailer upwards of ten times in a row before the release of the first film. That is not an exaggeration. Spider Man 2 had that car through the window sequence that was pure money. And Spider Man 3 is no exception. In a minute and 37 seconds they give you all the characters, their relationships, some great action shots, and reams of footage of the (hated) new costume. Kudos to the editor.

But that fucking costume…

5 comments:

spiffae said...

what a goddamn wasted opportunity.

spiffae said...

Haha. You know, when I posted that I meant that taking the awesome look of spiderman's black costume and making it into that old costume+hue and saturation was a wasted opportunity on the filmmakers' part. Really no offense meant. Whoops. Perhaps you were feeling guilty?

Seriously though, can't you imagine that totally flat black suit, like a silhouette with those two big white eyes done in awesome CG? What a goddamn wasted opportunity.

Accidentally Disastrous said...

Ha ha.
Yeah, i guess i did kind of reveal my guilt at the length of my post.
Your percieved criticism did inspire me though. So it all worked out.

MertMengelmier said...

Old School 2 is coming out in 2007 and no one cares, no. one. cares. Spiffae, are you ever coming back from Nippon?

spiffae said...

Mert, nope. Staying here forever.

(August 16th)