Saturday, July 01, 2006

The U.S. vs. John Lennon



Watch the trailer here.

So, apparently there was a band named "The Beatles" and they had this front man, John Lennon. Now they're making a movie about his war efforts. I think this movie is going to be amazing: what happens when a total fucking wanker starts representing the anti-war movement? Lennon is a precursor to Cindy Sheehan, but you too can tell that he lacks her insight, her magnificent wit, her Wilde-ian demeanor - LENNON'S NOT CINDY, AND HE NEVER WILL BE (which is truly, truly sad).

In 1967 Lennon said, "We're more popular than Jesus now. Oh, and I'm a total douche." I can see where he's coming from - in the 1960s Jesus's ratings in US News and World Report were through the roof. I just love these anti-war movies -the last comment tying Mr. Johnson (LBJ) and Mr. Bush shows the true agenda of this filmic abortion. If you want to make a movie that tells people how awful war is, just hold a camera on the front page of the New York Times every morning for a year. I see enough of the awfulness on television and in the news, I don't want to pay $10 bucks to watch holier-than-thou John Lennon preaching his hippy bullshit. When will people realize that sometimes it takes seemingly-awful deeds to rectify future horror? Saddam Hussein: not a nice guy. Robert Mugabe: similar to Hussein, except more murder and severed children's heads being used as soccer balls. Ho Chi Minh: not a nice guy, would have declared war on all of the far East if he had the chance - oh, and he would anally rape John Lennon and his "Free Spirit" if he had the chance - and probably with a blunt spoon.



AD once told me, "Marc David Chapman was the greatest thing to happen to the Beatles." I think this is an insanely astute point. I don't really like their music. I think their appeal completely misses me. And the idea that a musician and his toss of a wife represent what we should want to be is laughable. Want to go see a great anti-war movie? 9 1/2 Weeks.

3 comments:

Lena Webb said...

Angry Mert! It's okay, it makes me angry too. Almost as angry as the previous movie reviewed.

Accidentally Disastrous said...

That does sound like something I would say.

Anon said...

Why does the whole "give peace a chance" bit from the sixties and seventies get you so hot under the collar?

I'm thrilled that you get so excited about peace.