Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Lost City

Cuba

Havana.

Ha-ba-na.

Havana is Españolish for "drenched in sweat".

The trailer for Out of Time caused me to effeminately fan myself in the theatre. The trailer for The Quiet American made me dizzy and a little sick to my stomach. After seeing the Lost City trailer before the superlative Brick (if we reviewed whole movies, I couldn't speak highly enough of Brick) I had to be hospitalized for heat stroke.

Aside from my bizarre psychosomatic maladies, this is a great trailer. For me, there are two kinds of great trailers. One kind makes me desperately want to see the film advertised, e.g. trailers for The Matrix Reloaded, The Incredibles, and the aforementioned Brick. The other kind of great trailer makes me feel as I have watched and enjoyed a movie I would never see. There is nothing about the film The Lost City that appeals to me, but its trailer is a long, gorgeous classic. It slides effortlessly from pathos, to action, to mambo and back again. The last thirty seconds, starting with the lovely Inés Sastre whispering, “Time is not on our side” and ending with the title card…perfect.

Whattya know? Crank up the A/C folks, I just convinced myself to go see the damn movie.

By the way, this is our 50th post. I would like the thank our readers for getting us here, but really Mert wrote like 35 posts in a row while Spiffae and I climbed K2. Thanks, Mert.

4 comments:

spiffae said...

I forgot about how you can't see spanish language movies because they make you feel to hot. Ha.

K2 was awesome, duder.

spiffae said...

by the way - totals:

Spiffae: 13
Mert: 20
AD: 14
Others: 3

MertMengelmier said...

Who are these others? Is it Mert by another name? Would "Mert by any another name" still taste as sweet?

Lena Webb said...

So THIS is what came on if you stuck around after the credits for "Buena Vista Social Club"!!!!

I've already seen it! It's fucking awesome!