Friday, June 23, 2006

Monster House


Wednesday's Post, two days overdue:


When the trailer first dropped for Monster House, I must admit I was underwhelmed. Sure it looks pretty, but honestly, when anyone other than Pixar makes animated CG movies, it is like watching someone other than Kobayashi win a hot dog eating contest. Sure the same elements are there, but where’s the love?

Then I found out that a certain fellow named Rob Schrab wrote and had the initial concept for the film. This made things a bit more interesting. Mr. Schrab wrote one of the finest comic book series of the 90s, Scud the Disposable Assassin. It was like John Woo, Quentin Tarintino, and Sam Peckinpah got together and made some crazy android baby that wrote a comic book. If you have the opportunity to read the collections, go for it.


So it was with more interest that I watched this new trailer for Monster House. It is very similar to the older trailer, but contains one significant difference: The funniest joke I have seen in a trailer in a year. I wont transcribe it here, but it involves Baseball and Mental Retardation. You’ll know it when you hear it.


Spiffae is in the wilds of Tokyo, so I will be posting for him this evening or tomorrow morning. Keep you eyes peeled.

No comments: