Friday, June 02, 2006

Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest


Welcome to Friday, for your weekly dose of positivity and happiness. This week we'll be talking about the new Pirates of the Carribean trailer, mysteriously absent from the Apple.com trailer page. I don't know if it's new or old, only that it looks and feels good and expensive.

Like many, I was surprised by the first PotC (ha ha) movie, surprised in a good way, and I have been curious to know how the sequel will pan out. Gore Verbinski is directing again, which I think is a good thing. Bear with me for a second. Did anyone else think Gore Verbinski was an old famous director? I just looked him up on IMDB, and his first real movie was made in 2001. Now his filmography has some movies that people don't like, but I liked The Mexican, and I liked The Ring (which I now remember thinking was directed by an old famous director). I didn't see The Weather Man, but maybe I will. Anyway, about the trailer.

This is an epic trailer. I don't know what it is about it, I'm guessing mostly just a lot of money went to the editing house that made this. The last trailer I remember with this kind of polish was the Chalie's Angels: Full Throttle trailer. Man, that was an embarassing sentence to write. Either way, this trailer feels like it's ten years long, but in a good way. It runs for two minutes, but in those two minutes, it jumps to dozens of locations, nearly every shot is full of really top-end special effects, the sound mix is huge and bombastic, and the images are gorgeous in a fun sort of way. The trailer very well could end at 1:15 seconds, but then it keeps going, getting bigger and bigger and frankly capturing exactly the feel we'd expect of a PotC sequel.

One other thing. There are two jokes in this trailer, both delivered by Johnny Depp, both just brilliant. It's been a while since a trailer actually made me laugh, but the last line in this trailer got me. I knew it was coming, I saw the setup a mile away, but still. It's that good. He really is fantastic in that character, isn't he?

Either way, do yourself a favor and fire this up in HD, and then come see this movie with me when it comes out.

Trailer (disney.go.com)

2 comments:

MertMengelmier said...

The Weatherman Sucked. Want a great Nick Cage movie? Even though he's not in it, he should be: Passenger 57. Hell yes.

ezruh sellof said...

I particularly enjoy that Keith Richards will be in it. I'd definitely go gay for Johnny Depp. wait? did I say that? I meant for Keira Knightly.