Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Confetti



Watch the trailer here.

Well, it’s Christopher Guest meets the Full Monty, I suppose. A British "mockumentary" about people who want to win the title of “The Most Original Wedding of the Year.” Like all decent and recent films of this, erm, ilk, this one seems to be right on in its joke targets – the hilarity and sometimes absurdity of a wedding. I’m going to a wedding later this month where the first day everyone has to wear white as they play croquet and whip slaves. I mean, c’mon! I have no issues with weddings per se, but I can see how the buildup can get way out of hand and quickly veer the whole thing onto the wrong path with less-than-graceful guidance. (I once saw a flower girl eat half a table cloth after a dare).

The actors in this film improvised everything within their laid out scenes (a la "Curb Your Enthusiasm")– so when the naturalist fiancé (Robert Webb, no relation to Robert McNamara – just in case you were thinking that, dumbass) comes out naked in front of his soon-to-be mother-in-law and she cannot speak at the sight of his dong and he says, “Mrs. Roberts? I suppose now I should call you “Mum.” Pleasantry?” That is all improvised, and amazing – a great trailer moment and a nice break from the practiced lines of many blockbuster trailers.



Many people will know Martin Freeman’s improv talent from the British Golden Globe-winning series “The Office.” Also very much in line with “The Office” is the British talent of embarrassment, and this film seems to hit embarrassing humor right on the button. The only thing I worry about in a film like this – improv in set out scenes – is the danger for dialogue. I know a lot of people who like "Curb Your Enthusiasm" – I hate it – but that show fails (barely) when Larry David and the characters around him cannot supply the best dialogue to keep the scenes funny. Hence the awkward silences, hence the sometimes too-angry situations that occur and hence feeling like shit every time I watch the show.

Confetti, however, will be different. If David Blaine can mesmerize millions by making an ass out of himself, then surely this movie will be quite entertaining.

No comments: