Saturday, May 27, 2006

The Namesake

I'm probably going to be fired from this blog soon for writing positive reviews about movies I plan on seeing, but hey, I found another one.

The thing I love about trailers is how easy it is to discover something with a huge potential to entertain. Today I saw The Namesake at the top of the trailers list and gave it a click. A whole bunch of foreign names and Romance/Comedy nearly deterred me, but I figured what the hell. It's only a couple minutes.

So a coming of age story about a traditional Indian family living in New York, the son who wants to be with new people, a tragedy in the past, tearful moments in the rain - sounds boring as hell, and yet it works. Not only is the trailer quite good, but it really looks like the movie will be good too. I can't put my finger on why. It's got a nice hook at the beginning, the music is good throughout, and the humor is sharp - I wouldn't call it sophisticated, but it's quiet and somewhat subtle, and the timing is right. I like seeing a movie full of faces I don't know, and I like that it takes place in New York. I've watched it four or five times now, and I still can't figure out exactly why it is that this trailer works so well, and why over the ending montage of images that are not particularly breathtaking or amazing, I get goosebumps. Someone with a lot of skill cut this trailer, and in doing so reminded me why I like watching trailers so much.

High-Def Trailer (Apple)

No comments: